Sunday, September 16, 2007

Embarassing

I was going to post a message after the Ravens game to contradict my previous post about the Bengals season. The schedule, here on out, looked easy I thought. Browns, Seahawks, Chiefs, the NFC West, I mean 12-4 was a real possibility...or so I thought.

I knew the defense would not cause 6 turnovers again, lets face they were about 6 turnovers from an 8-8 season instead of 11-5 in 2005. Thankfully, that year we got the NFC North. It doesn't matter though, no pressure on Derek Anderson (not just saying that... they actually put no pressure on him) and now him, Edwards, Winslow and Jamal Lewis all look like gods. The defense is horrible, how can your offense score 45 and lose? Of course they won't give up 51 every game, but you never should, especially to Cleveland. Five years and still no defense also the clock management was again poor:

Why did we call a timeout with 3 minutes and change remaining and not save it until later? Essentially, if we didn't make a stop at that point the game was over, and puts all the pressure on the defense. With less time on clock (evident by the Falcons play calling), the offense tends to get more conservative, and we would have had the 2-minute warning and an extra timeout. If it had went down that way and assuming the Bengals get a stop, there is 1:10 on the clock instead of :30.

This is what I wrote last year after the Falcons debacle. Nothing has changed, just replace Falcons with Browns. I don't care if you think you made the stop, you don't call a timeout, your offense needs those. Also, 4th and 1 from the 2? You can't waste 4 points!!!!!! Your defense can't stop anybody, you need all the points you can get. The IQ on that sideline is low, especially in tight situations.

So my post from 8/18 stands, I wish I could blog longer but I have better things to do with my time than discuss or watch the Bengals...until next Sunday. Which Bengals team will show up?

No comments: